Vegan Gluten Free Hash Brown Omelet
Add this to your breakfast or lunch option!
The filling of the omlet can be anything you like.
I like to make this dish when I need to clear the extra food that we couldn't finish.
For this recipe I used young jackfruits and spinach (because that is what I had in the fridge!) but normally like to make a mushroom filling. If can be any mushrooms you like such as, button mushrooms, enoki or shimeji or even a mix of it, with some chopped fresh herbs if you have. But if not, this Tomato Pesto has fresh dill in it so it is very convenient :)
Stir-fry the filling together with the Tomato Pesto or a BBQ sauce that you have on hand.
For the hash brown, I love to use the truffle and rosemary seasoning. This goes well with almost any kind of potato dish like, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or just boiled potatoes. Have a try!
Vegan Hash Brown Omelet
(Makes 2 servings)
1 bunch of, spinach
1 cup, young jack fruits, chopped
4 pc, Medium sized potatoes, shredded
1 Tbsp., Gluten Free Starch
1+1 Tbsp., Sunflower Frying Oil
About 1 tsp., Truffle and Rosemary Sea Salt
1 Tbsp., Tomato Pesto
- Prepare the filling. Rinse the spinach and remove the stems and cut in half. Set aside.
- To prepare the jackfruit, open the can or jar of jackfruit and drain the water off and rinse well. Chop off the core of the jackfruit and finely chop it or mash it with the back of the knife. For the soft part, use the flat side of the knife to press down and separate the fiber. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- To prepare the potatoes, remove the sprouts if any. Julienne the potato with the shredding tool. If you are using organic you don't need to peel the skin. Using a shredding tool will help you chop up your potatoes in a minute.
Use a fruit knife to julienne the edges.
- Rince the shredded potatoes in water and drain the water.
Add 1 Tbsp of starch (We used Freee by Doves Bread Flour) to the potatoes and toss with your hands. This will help with the binding of the potatoes.
- Heat up the frying pan and spread 1 Tablespoon of sunflower frying oil.
- Add half of the potatoes to the frying pan. Sprinkle the truffle and rosemary seasoning generously!
Cover the lid and cook the potatoes. Remove the lid after 3 and a half minutes and let the steam completely go.The potatoes should start to get crispy on the bottom.
- If you can slide the spatula under the potatoes and flip it over, cook the other side for another 3 minutes to make it crispy on both sides. If not confident to flip it, you can cook one side only too! Slide the potatoes onto a plate. Repeat again for the second hash brown.
- To prepare the filling, heat up the frying pan with 1 Tablespoon of sunflower frying oil and place the jackfruits onto the pan. ! table spoon of the Tomato Pesto and stir-fry till the sauce blends in to the jackfruit.
- Add in the sponache. When the spinach starts to wilt, it is ready.
- Place half of the filling onto one of the hash brown and "fold" it in with a spatula.
- Wipe the plate with a kitchen paper and dust it with the truffle and rosemary seasoning. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Leave a comment