Savoury Vegan Granola Bar with Spelt Flakes
There are tons of snack bar recipes but we wanted to create a rather savoury bar for snacks because not all snacks need to be sweet!
Having said that, this savoury bar does include coconut nectar which is a low Glycemic Syrup from the sap of the coconut flower. For the nuts and seeds, please feel free to swap with your favourite bites.
You might be asking why Nori sheet is in the recipe. However, nori can boost the umami so don't skip this one!
If you are going to pack some bars for your school snakes and your school has a nut-free policy, you can swap the walnuts with sunflower seeds, and the almond butter with tahini (sesame butter) to make it a nut-free snack bar.
One important thing is to use sprouted nuts and seeds for better digestion. It is a small thing that makes a huge impact on our bodies.
What is sprouting?
All nuts, seeds, legumes and grains have a naturally occurring chemical known as phytic acid and some enzyme inhibitors which can interfere with body's absorption of certain nutrients. These enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid are absent in our activated Brazil nuts since they were removed through our soaking process.
If you haven't tasted sprouted nuts and seeds yet, please do try as they are totally different from just raw nuts!
In this recipe we have used spelt flakes for a hearty texture but if you want to make a glute-free bar, you can swap this with oats.
When it comes to options, the sky is the limit! Please use this as a base to create your favorite savory snack bar!
Savory Vegan Granola Bar with Spelt Flakes
(Will make about 10 x 10cm bars or 40 cubes)
250 g, Spelt Flakes
60 g, Golden Flaxseed
40 g, Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
20 g, White Sesame Seeds
50 g, Sprouted Walnuts
1 Tablespoon, Tamari Soy Sauce
30 g, Nutritional Yeast
10 g, Onion Powder
1 teaspoon, Himalayan Pink Salt
1 Sheet, Nori
170 g, Coconut Nectar
200 g, Sprouted Almond Butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the sprouted nuts and seeds with the rolled spelt. Pour the tamari soy sauce over the mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond butter, coconut nectar, onion powder and nutritional yeast and mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and mix well. You might need to use your hands so that you can homogenize the batter.
- Place a baking paper on a 20x x30 cm baking pan and place the batter on top. Layer another baking paper on top of the batter and spared the batter out as much as you can. Try to make the thickness even. This can be done with flat surface like a metal cup. remove the upper baking sheet and bake this in the oven at 175°C for 10 minutes.
- When it is baked, cut up the bars in any shape or size you like! Enjoy :)
You can store this bar in a airtight container for up to 7 days.