Clearspring Organic Japanese Tofu, Silken & Smooth - 300g
This unique organic, protein rich and low fat product has the potential to change the way we view Tofu in the UK. Clearspring Organic long life Tofu is made with just three ingredients: organic whole soya beans, spring water from Mount Fuji and Nigari- a naturally occurring mineral rich coagulant derived from sea water. Denser and richer than other soft tofu it has a silky soft, smooth texture whilst maintaining firmness. It is very easy to use and tastes as good as fresh tofu.
We have always focused on developing new innovative organic foods which combine tradition with convenience, economical production with ecological sustainability and quality without compromise. It took several years to develop this creamy smooth Long Life Organic Tofu in line with these principles.
Made with just three ingredients:
- Premium quality whole, fully traceable and EU certified organic soya beans which are specially contract grown for Clearspring. By law this means that the soya beans have to be sustainably cultivated, grown without the use of artificial fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides and cannot be Genetically Modified. Organic certification also means that the tofu production process does not permit commonly used processing aids such as defoamers, bleaches or preservatives.
- Nigari, a naturally occurring mineral rich coagulant derived from sea water. The base of nigari is magnesium chloride which makes tofu a good source of both magnesium and chloride.
- Pure spring water from Mount Fuji.
Types of Tofu
There are two main types of tofu available: silken and hard. Silken tofu is produced by coagulating soya milk without curdling it and is normally available in two consistencies: soft and firm. Clearspring organic tofu falls in the latter category. Both are however more creamy, smooth and delicate than hard tofu which is drained and pressed and therefore more robust.
Water, soya beans*(26%), firming agent: nigari (magnesium chloride). *organically grown
|Typical values||g per 100g|
|of which saturates:||0.6|
|of which monounsaturates:||1.5|
|of which polyunsaturates:||0.8|
|of which sugars:||1.3|
|Free of Added Alcohol|
For ideas on how to use tofu watch our recipe videos below.
How is organic tofu different from non-organic tofu?
Organic versus non-organic:
Organic tofu by law has to be made from organic, non GM soya beans which are grown sustainably without using artificial fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. Environmentally, organic soya is a very beneficial crop because its roots fix nitrogen in the soil which most other plants take out. Because of this function you will often see soya planted on the banks of rice paddies in Asia. It is also very suited to low-input agriculture.
Conversely the vast majority of non-organic soya beans are:
- Genetically modified and/or grown using artificial fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides.
- Often grown on deforested land using slash and burn techniques which are totally unsustainable practices.
Nigari Tofu vs. Non-Nigari Tofu:
The highest quality Tofu is made using a coagulant called Nigari, a derivative of seawater. Natural nigari is essentially distilled seawater with the salt removed. The base of nigari is magnesium chloride and it also has over 100 other beneficial mineral salts in abundance, such as potassium chloride and magnesium sulphate.
Alternative cheaper coagulants without the beneficial minerals are:
- GDL (Glucono-deltalactone)
- calcium sulphate
- calcium chloride
The production process for Organic Tofu does not allow the commonly used processing aids:
- Bleaches, which are sometimes used to improve colour
- Preservatives, often added to the water in which the tofu is packed.
Clearspring is proud of the fact that our expert producers use their skill and experience to make our tofu with just three ingredients: organic soya beans, nigari and water – that’s all, no fillers required!