Organic Popcorn Kernels - 454g
How to use
3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee or avocado oil
1/3 cup, organic popcorn kernels
1 tablespoon butter or more to taste (optional)
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium (2-3 littles) sized saucepan with a thick bottom.
- To test the temperature, drop a few kernels into the oil and check if it pops.
- If the kernels passed the popping test, add the rest of the batch to the pot in an even layer.
- Cover the pot, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. (Try this with kids!)
This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat:
The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
Tip: As the popcorn pops, try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat:
remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
With this technique, nearly all of the kernels pop, and nothing burns.
- Melt butter in the empty hot pan:
If you are adding butter, you can easily melt it by placing the butter in the now empty, but hot pan.
- Tip: if you let the butter get just a little bit brown, it will add an even more intense, buttery flavor to the butter and to your popcorn.
Just drizzle the melted butter over the popcorn and toss to distribute.
- Sprinkle the popcorn with salt to taste:
Fun toppings for the popcorn - Spanish smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, cayenne powder, chili pepper, curry powder, cumin, grated Parmesan cheese.
Want something more than butter or salt on your popcorn? Try sprinkling with some grated Parmesan cheese! Smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, cayenne powder, taco seasoning, or curry powder also make for fun and interesting toppings.
Have a favorite popcorn topping? Please let us know about it in the comments.
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 18.6 grams
Fiber: 3.6 grams
Sugar: 0.2 grams
Fat: 1.1 grams