Making vegan cheese is not that complicated.
Especially if it doesn't require fermentation.
In this blog, I'd like to share a simple yet tasty vegan cheese recipe.
Here are the tools and ingredients you'll need.
It is good to have a tight weave cloth and not the muslin cloths for this cheese.
Use a heat resistant spatula to mix the soy milk in the pot.
- Pour the soy milk into a saucepan and heat it up on low flame, mix well. Once the temperature of the soy milk reaches 60°C, turn off the flame and stir in the lemon juice.
- Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes. The soy milk will start to curdle.
- Prepare a sieve, bowl and the cheesecloth and pour the mixture onto the cloth. The Whey will start to drip down to the bowl in below.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and give it a gentle squeeze.
- You can keep squeezing it or let is sit on the sieve for about an hour to let drain. What you get in the cheesecloth will be your vegan cottage cheese!
Season it with some salt and serve or use it in recipes.
You can keep this cheese in the fridge for about 5 days or freeze it upto 3 months.
For the whey, you can use it in soups or stews. It will create a nice flavor.