*Please be patient with your brew. The grains can take up to 10 brews to be fully activated.
What are Water Kefir Grains?
Although the name has 'grain' in it, there are no actual grains such as wheat, oat or rye in water kefir grains. It is a combination of yeast and bacteria and this is used to make fermented beverage known as 'kefir water'. Water kefir grains are suitable to make water based kefir drinks such as water kefir or coconut water kefir. They are NOT suitable for making milk kefir or coconut milk kefir which are made from milk kefir grains.
The origin of water kefir is unknown but it has been used to ferment sugar water around the world with different names such as 'gingerbeer plants', "Tibi grains'. 'California bees', 'African bees', 'Ale nuts', 'Balm of Gilead' and 'Japanese Beer Seeds'.
*source link here
Just like Kombucha, water kefir is a yummy, fizzy and healthy probiotic drink made from fermented sugar water. Just a different strain of yeast and bacteria. Compared to kombucha, water kefir is much more easier to make and also faster to ferment. You can brew water kefir in one of two days.
**We've also added Water Kefir Grains for Coconut Water for those who want to try a different base and taste**
Why it’s good for you?
The most known benefits are the probiotics that exist in water kefir. The quantity and strains can vary from batch to batch you make. Here are some types of yeast and bacteria that were found in a study.
Yeast: H. valbyensis, Lachancea fermentati, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and Zygotorulaspora florentina.
Bacteria: Lb. hordei, Lb. nagelii, Lc. mesenteroides, Leuconostocs (Lc. citreum, & Lc. mesenteroides) , Ac. fabarum, lactobacilli species (Lb. hordei, Lb. nagelii. Lb. hilgardii, Lb. casei ), Lc. citreum
*source link here
How To Brew Water Kefir
- Sterilize your tools with hot water.
- Strain the water kefir grains from the jar and discard the liquid. You can also give your grains a quick rinse.
- In a glass jar that can hold up to 1L, place a 1/4 cup (60ml) of raw sugar and melt it with a cup of hot water. Once its completely melted, add two cups of cold mineral water to cool down the sugar water solution. It will help speed up the activation of the grains by adding some dried fruits. We recommend using Australian Sultanas Raisins (no sulfur dioxide)
or Dried Figs
(a table spoon full of raising or 1 fig should be a good amount to add to your brew).
- Once the solution is cooled down to 30C (a bit lower then your body temperature), add the water kefir grains to the solution and cover the top with a kitchen towel or paper towel and stop it with a rubber band.
- Place the jar in a place without direct sunlight and allow it to ferment in room temperature for 24 - 48 hours. It will ferment faster in summer and slower in winter.
- After the fermentation, the transparent solution will change into a murky color and will be slightly sour and fizzy. Strain the grains with a sieve (preferably a plastic one!) and the liquid you got will be your ferst brew of water kefir! You can consume it as it is or can further ferment it in an airtight bottle with more flavors. (second fermentation.)
- You can start from #1 again for anther batch of your water kefir brew.
- For the second fermentation, you can add fruit juice, fresh fruits or even coconut water to make a flavored fizzy drink. Pour your water kefir into an airtight bottle and add the flavors you like. You can do 50:50 ~80:20 with the water kefir and other liquids.
- Close the airtight bottle and let that ferment in room temperature for 24-48 hours depending on the room temperature. Be careful when opening your bottle as it can explode.
- If the water kefir is ready, store in the refrigerator and serve cold. Enjoy!
Things to remember!
Are you scared to brew?
If you are new to brewing, perhaps water kefir will be the great place to start. Its the easiest and fastest among kombucha, beer or wine! Welcome to the world of fermentation!
We also have a Kombucha Starter Kit too!
*This product was produced in a kitchen where wheat is also handled. If you have any concerns about food allergies, please contact us at email@example.com before purchasing or consuming this product.*