What is a Kombucha SCOBY?
SCOBY is an acronym for Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast. It is also called the 'mother' which is the home for the yeast and bacteria that transforms a sweet caffeinated tea into a tangy and fizzy probiotic rich drink.
What is Kombucha?
In a nutshell, it's a yummy, fizzy and healthy probiotic drink! Kombucha is very easy to brew at home. You just need to follow a few steps and get to know your SCOBY and you’re all set! Some say Kombucha originates in China and others say its Russia. As its such a long time ago, it is unclear but it will not be surprising that different culters were brewing this drink around the world with their natural occering yeast. The history of Kombucha seems to be somewhere around 2,000 years Kombucha is made from sweetened tea that’s been fermented by a SCOBY.
Why it’s good for you?
Research has shown that this anti-oxidant rich, pro-biotic beverage has benefits of detoxification, cancer prevention, digestion improvement, prevention of candida overgrowth, reducing or eliminating depression and anxiety, and even effective for boosting the immune system and energy levels.
Things to remember!
- Please use this SCOBY for brewing kombucha only.
- Please store in the refrigerator once you receive our jar. This is a Raw SCOBY and not dehydrated.
- If you are going to brew a large batch (more than 3.8L) please purchase 2 jars of SCOBY to support your large brew.
- If you are not sure about how to use this product, you might want to consider the kombucha starter kit that comes with instructions and all the tools you need to brew. If not sure about what you need, please contact us on email@example.com before you place your order :)
Are you scared to brew?
We have a Kombucha Starter Kit available too. In this Starter Kit, you'll be provided with all the ingredients you'll need to brew your kombucha at home from day 1! This kit includes a step by step instructions of how to brew your kombucha. You can start brewing your own kombucha without buying any additional ingredients. The only thing you'll need is to boil filtered water. *We recommend you to use filtered water for brewing your kombucha.
Join Sesame Kitchen's Kombucha Class! You will get a Starter Kit at the class too.
How to Brew your Kombucha
For your first brew, please follow these steps.
- Sterilize all your tools including the jars and bottles in the kit. You can use hot water (do NOT use boiling water as it might break your glass jars) or use vinegar to sterlize too. Please keep the hot water in the tools for 10 minutes and toss the water and let them dry naturally. As for the utensils and lids, you can boil them in a pot for 5 minutes and let them dry off.
- Take 2 Tablespoons of the Organic Jasmine Green Tea and brew the tea in 3.5L of water for 10 minutes in a pot. The tea should be very strong.
- Once the tea is ready, drain the leaves in a sieve and pour it into the large glass jar with the one cup of sugar. This should make a sweet tea.
- Let the sugary tea cool off in the jar for about 1-2 hours. The tea should be about 30-37°C depending on the room temperature. If still hot please cool the tea further more. The ideal temperature should be 'lukewarm'.
- 5Open the kombucha SCOBY into the large jar with the liquid and cover the jar with a paper towel and place a rubber band around the paper towel.
- Let the kombucha brew in a dark place in your room. Please avoid direct sunlight and places that the temperature will change such as near the oven or AC.
- After 7-10 days, your kombucha SCOBY should have sunken to the bottom of the jar and formed a daughter SCOBY floating at the surface of the tea. Your kombucha should be ready to taste. If you are happy with the flavor, go ahead to bottle the kombucha in a bottle and flavor it with fruits, herbs and spices. If the kombucha is too sweet let it ferment for another day or more.The longer you ferment the tarter it will become.
- The fermentation that happens in the bottle is called the second fermentation and this is where the drink becomes fizzy. (If the kombucha is tart, it will be harder to make this fizzy and you might have to add extra fruit juice or sugar to the bottle.)
- Let the bottle ferment in room temperature with the lid tightly closed for 5-7 days. When you open the bottle be careful as the kombucha might burst out.
- If you are happy with the flavor, cool the kombucha in the refrigerator and enjoy it cold! You can store your kombucha in the refrigerator for 3-6 months.
*If you find any molds, or not sure about the quality of your brew Plase DO NOT CONSUME.
Drinking contaminated kombucha is toxic and harmful.
Please get in touch with us firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have a regular Kombucha making class at Sesame Kitchen. Visit sesamekitchen.com for more information.
HOME DELIVERY VS STORE PICK UP
Shipments over $700HKD is free of charge.
Any orders that do not meet the minimum will be 100HKD for home delivery.
'Pick-up' option is not displayed online. You can contact our Customer Service for possible arrangements.
Please send us a WhatsApp with your order number on +852 5539 0014 to let us know if you would like to collect your order from our store.
*Please make sure you order your items in advance (especially fresh kitchen products such as breads, yogurts, kefir, etc.) for our Team to ensure production. Fresh kitchen items are not available in-store, we bake-to-order and produce them fresh in the morning on delivery to ensure quality!
**Any orders that do not meet the minimum threshold will be charged 100HKD for door to door delivery**
As you are checking out, please select your date of delivery. If you do not select a delivery date (and automatically checkout through the systems) we will assume you want your products delivered as soon as possible and the earliest delivery route will be assigned to your order. As our products are baked fresh in the mornings, deliveries all take place in the afternoon.