If you haven't used jackfruit yet, you're missing out! This is not the ripe jackfruit that is sweet and a bit smelly. This is the young and green jackfruit that we use in for cooking, that you can buy in cans and jars.
If the jackfruit you've got is preserved in the brine, please rinse the brine off so the recipe is not too salty.
Pulled jackfruit is inspired by the pulled pork recipe and it is much faster to make it with young jackfruit. This fruit absorbs any flavor and has the same texture as soft chunks of meat! Perfect for anyone looking for a plant-based alternative to their favourite BBQ burger.
In this recipe we have made the rice burger with brown glutenous rice. We love the wholegrain glutinous rice as we find it flavorful and the texture is perfect.
Don't be fooled by the name "glutenous". This is rice and it is gluten-free. With this sticky grain we are going to make a gluten-free bun.
Adding a pinch of turmeric, in this recipe, a 1/4 teaspoon only, will make a huge difference to the look of the burger but not much to the flavor.
To make the rice burger you can shape the "bun" with a ring mold and toast the "bun" on a frying pan. Do not use any oil as the rice will start to fall apart.
Instead, use a wet spatula to avoid the rice sticking to the spatula.
It is basically a "Onigiri" (Japanese rice ball) in a different shape so it is perfect to serve hot or cold. Imagine packing this for your lunch. You'll definitely get a lot of attention!
If you liked this recipe you may also like this recipe too!
VEGAN JACKFRUIT SPRING ROLLS
Vegan Gluten Free Pulled Jackfruit Turmeric Rice Burger
For the Rice Burger "bun"
300 g, Brown Short Grain Glutinous Rice
360 ml, filtered water for cooking the rice
1/4 tsp., Turmeric Powder
For the Barbecue Sauce
1 1/2 cup., Ketchup
3/4 cup., Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup., Coconut Flower Sugar
1/4 cup., Tamari Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp., Cinnamon Powder
*No time to make BBQ sauce?
We also have this!
DR WILL'S ALL NATURAL BBQ SAUCE
For the Pulled Jackfruit
300g, Young Jackfruit in Water (without the water)
2 Tbsp., Coconut Flower Sugar
1 tsp., Paprika Powder
1 tsp., Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp., Natural Salt
1/2 tsp., Long Pepper Powder (Hibachi Pepper)
1/2 tsp., Korean Chili Powder
1/2 tsp., Cumin Powder
2 Tbsp., Sunflower Frying Oil
For Additional Fulling for the Burger (Optional)
4 Big Leaves of Lettuce
1 Avocado, sliced (1/4 avocado will be for 1 burger)
2 Tbsp., Cooked Red Cababge
A Bunch of Fresh Parsley
Baking Paper to Wrap the Burger
- To cook the rice, measure 300 g of the uncooked brown rice and rinse well. Add water to the rice cooker until the line 2 is covered. If your rice cooker doesn't have a line, add 360 ml of water here. Soak the rice for 30 minutes with the turmeric powder and press the "cook" button to start.
- To prepare the barbecue sauce, combine the barbecue sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil and cook until it gets thicker for about 3 minutes. Cool to room temperature and set aside.
- To prepare the pulled jackfruit, open the can or jar of jackfruit and drain the water off and rinse well.
- Chop off the core of the jackfruit and finely chop it or mash it with the back of the knife. For the soft part, use the flat side of the knife to press down and separate the fiber to create the "pulled pork-like" look. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pulled jackfruit seasonings and add to mashed jackfruit. Toss well so the jackfruit is coated well.
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp of the frying oil. Cooked the seasoned jackfruit for 2-3 minutes till it gets some color. Reduce the heat to lower medium and add 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes till the sauce is absorbed by the jackfruit and it obtains a pulled pork look.
- To prepare the rice buns, take 1/2 cup of the cooked rice and use a round ring mold to shape the rice. It will be easy to do this on baking paper so that you can remove the rice easily. Press down with the spatula and remove the ring. This recipe can make 8 patties of rice buns (for 4 burgers).
- In a frying pan, toast the rice bun for about 1 minute on each sides. Do not use oil for this. It will be easy to remove the rice buns with a wet spatula form the frying pan.
- To assemble, it will be easy to serve this if you start on a baking paper.
Place the first layer of the rice patty.
- Place the lettuce, then follow with the sliced avocado.
- (Optional) Top it with the cooked red cabbage for more color.
- Add the pulled jackfruit on top.
- Sprinkle the parsley and cover the top with the second rice patty to finish off.
- Serve! (you can serve this cold too!)